Only about one week until the Volvo Ocean Race boats arrive at North America’s Sailinghubb of the world, Newport, Rhode Island. This year’s event will take place starting Tuesday, May 8th and run through Sunday, May 20th. When the boats last visited Newport in 2015, 2.4 million people were drawn to an experience of a lifetime, and organizers expect an even greater turnout this year.
Sail Newport organizes this momentous stopover, transforming Fort Adams State Park into a race village for the Volvo Ocean Race. Attendees can try sailing, view the boats up close, experience what it’s like to live on board, participate in interactive exhibits and of course, shop and eat.
Race Village Activities
- Sail onboard a Sail Newport J22
- View the boats up close from the piers
- See a full-size VO65 cut in half to show the tiny living quarters
- Interactive exhibits in the Exploration Zone
- 3D cinema interactive video to see what it’s like to be a sailor in the race
- Teams on-site and interacting with visitors
- Working boatyard will be active every day repairing sails and equipment
- Musto Store on-site – grab your favorite team’s apparel
(10% of every purchase from Team 1 Newport of the Volvo gear will be donated to Sail Newport)
- Kid Zone Activities
- Beer Garden
Hotels and rentals are priced very high or were already booked years in advance for most places closest to the venue. Look to staying in Middletown, RI which is the town just North of Newport.
Newport is very walkable, and will most definitely be tough to get through by car due to the crowds. Your best bet to get to and from Race Village will be on foot, by bike, or by water taxi.
Regardless of how you get there, definitely get there! And feel free to share any insider tips with fellow sailors.